Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

learning:: sometimes it is good to be judgmental... right?

i am obsessed with looking at other photographer's work, particularly those in the business of photographing people. one of the reasons i do this is quite... well... judgmental on my part - that is i rate another photographer's work against my own. this is good and bad (if being judgmental can ever be good). this is bad because i rate some photographer's work as poor or not artistic enough, thus giving myself an ego boast or "pat on the back." this is vain - i know. the good that emerges from this, however, is that I am inspired, encouraged and impassioned by judging another photographer's work.

there are SO MANY amazing photographers out there who have this unique eye for looking at people, thus producing true works of art. i learn so much from looking at the work of these photographers and am encouraged to strive to look through the lens with a more artistic perspective - to get more creative and set myself apart from others in the business. i am inspired to stand on a footstool, looking through grass blades, lay on the ground, peer between glasses, you name to create a photograph that is not simply point and shoot. don't get me wrong, traditional "point and shoot" shots are great, in fact every photo session and wedding coverage needs to include a certain amount of traditionally posed point and shoot images - this ensures that certain moments and individuals are captured. however unique angles and artistic perspectives adds variety to one's album and allows for more natural, candid, photo-journalistic images... and, from my perspective as a photographer, creating these images makes me an artist, not a mere "picture taker," which is one of the reasons i so look forward to every photo session i do!! (side note: i have recently discovered that being creative is important to my sanity).

here are just a few links to some fellow photographers from whom i find inspiration and ideas from, and whom I aspire to parallel in both talent and success.

Jamie Delaine - www.jamiedelaine.com
The Image is Found - www.theimageisfound.com
Fresh Sugar - www.freshsugar.com

i do recognize my own unique perspective and artistic eye that will also set me apart from these awesome photographers, which is why my clients will ask me to photograph them, their wedding, their family and the special moments in their lives. but looking at another photographer's work and perspective is a great starting point, and doing this inspires and motivates me... and i am impassioned to develop my craft!



the featured photo is from my 2007 trip to Thailand with our university. my friend jennifer was so kind to let me have some with my shutter-speed while we roamed around the Walking Street Market in Chiang-Mai. to see more pictures from my trip to Thailand, and South East Asia click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment