Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

when the sun shines...

yesterday i was working at my desk, thinking how lovely it was that i finally got around to organizing my space (er, should i say re-organzing, since i moved my workspace from my bedroom into my living room) and that i am actually sitting at my desk instead of on the couch or at the kitchen table or in the cozy chair next to my desk. you would think that after being a student for fours years i would have become used to the concept of working at home, at a desk. but no. in fact, i usually wrote my papers and did my reading curled up in a comfy chair or propped up in my bed. oh the life of a student!

these days however i am challenging myself to do my work sitting at a desk to create a separation between work hours and personal hours, something that many work from home types are familiar with as a difficult task to do, especially in the beginning. i am a fairly organized person; i love to organize spaces and create plans, however it seems that my organizational skills seem to break down when it comes to compartmentalizing my time. thus, i find myself always working!! not a bad thing when you love what you do, but i actually find i am more productive and inspired when i set time boundaries for myself, and i feel less guilty when hanging out with friends, or watching a movie, or reading a novel, when my work and personal time are clearly defined!

if there were ever an inspiring reason to sit at my newly organized workspace it is this: at about 4pm the sun begins to stream in through the window where my desk is situated, filling the room with light and warmth. and by 6pm, if i am still seated at my desk working or seated on the couch relaxing i am privileged to watch to sun as it makes its decent  down towards the horizon. breathtaking. this is sure to help me achieve my time management goals!



love & sunshine,
shannon-may

No comments:

Post a Comment