Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

i have a vision...

this past weekend i celebrated with friends the official launch of shannon may photography.  and this forthcoming weekend i will be participating in the first ever charlotte county fall fair, offering mini photography sessions in the park. and the timing of a few others things makes me think this a good time to share the vision i have for my business and the reason behind it.

the following is extracted from a "cover letter" i included my business plan.

I have a vision for a business that is profitable, provides a means for me to be creative and earn a living, that is conscious of it’s impact on the planet, and that creates transformative opportunities for its community.

Establishing and building a photography business is a dream come true, and it will give me the ability to literally creatively earn a living. I have always loved photography, so much so I would metaphorically drool each time I saw a wedding photographer in action or came across stunning portraiture work. “I wish I could do that,” was a common thought. And this past year, after graduating from university and trying to determine my next steps I determined that I wanted a career that allowed me to regularly interact with people, would allow me to be creative, would consistently challenge my abilities as an artist and as a business minded person, that would give me some flexibility with my work schedule, and that would enable me to be a regular and active part in my community. As I brainstormed about various options and thought opportunities I could create for myself I realized that the biggest I opportunity before me was the chance to change my story; rather than continue to wish about being a photographer, and I could actually be a photographer and run my own photography business bringing together my skills in business and my experience as a photographer.

In January 2011, I randomly entered a contest through Twitter - the prize was a full registration to WPPI 2011. The Wedding and Portrait Photographers International (WPPI) Trade Show and Convention is an annual event, and a must for anyone involved in the photography business. It is full of workshops lead by industry leaders covering various topics related to the business and creative’s sides of the photography business. A full registration is worth $400!! Two days after entering the contest I found out I won, and within the weeks following, friends and a few strangers provided me the financial means needed afford the trip to Las Vegas! This was a life-changing event and solidified my decision to start a business. 

As I have built my portfolio over the last year, researched what it means to operate a photography business or small business in general, and figured out what kind of a business person I wish to be, one important consideration stood out me: I need to build a business that is transformative. The Teen Modeling Mentoring Program I wish to launch as part of my high school senior girls portrait services, and my commitment to increasing Saint Andrew’s profile as premier destination wedding location is based on my desire to see the economic life of Charlotte County transformed - to provide opportunity for others to change their story.

I arrived in St. Stephen NB in September 2006 to attend St. Stephen’s University, a little broken, a bit wounded, and quite lost. Nearing the completion of my degree in 2010 I knew that did not want to leave this area. There are a myriad of reasons for my decision to stay - great friendships, natural beauty, more sunshine and less rain that Vancouver - but the most important is because this place has provide me the ability to transform my own life and become a whole person. Thus, I am passionate about being an active citizen and playing a transformative part in the economic and social development of Charlotte County.

so... there it is, my heart for this community and for  what my business can be laid out on the page. hopefully i will get to meet you somewhere along in my journey.

love & sunshine,
shannon-may

ps: here is a little peak of something i am working on right now...


1 comment: