Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

[personal] baptized with grace

this past weekend my church community gathered to witness the baptism of ten people from our community. in the church service prior to the baptism at out loon bay, our pastor touched briefly on the importance of baptism, noting that the act is a public declaration that one is making to follow Jesus. he also encouraged those being baptized to think of one act that he or she would regularly perform in order to remind themself of the declaration they made and the surety they felt on this day, that God is real.

as i was sitting in church i was reminded of my own baptism eight years ago. it was at crescent beach in white rock bc, on a chilly september saturday. the tide was out so we had walk out quite far to find water deep enough!! i remember the night before i wrote out a little testimony that i would share, and spent time searching through my bible for a verse that i felt would suit the moment, or better, one that described my journey as a christian:

"i sought the Lord and he answered; he delivered me from all my fears. 
those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. 
in my desperation i prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles." psaml 34:4-6

i can a honestly say these verses speak truth. when i look back on my life these past eight or so years, and the many things i experienced and achieved since being baptized and publicly declaring to follow Him, i have been able to where see His grace has been ever-so present in all life. i did seek Him when i felt defeated and paralyzed by fear, and He answered me, and He continues to save me when i feel darkness around me. though i have struggled with doubt and at times not walked alongside Him, i have come back to this verse [and my baptism] time and time again, to be reminded that God is real. 

it was a such a beautiful day yesterday...



the tiara is a private joke between this guy and the youth group!!




















father-daughter dunking!

























love & sunshine,
shannon-may




6 comments:

  1. Shannon, your photos are so great; you really captured the solemnity before, and the pure joy after the baptism.
    Looking through these pictures and reading your post, was so encouraging to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon-May, thank you so much for this post and these photos. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful - the emotion lingers in each photograph SMP - you captured the day perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! love that you captured each moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking though these photos I kept welling up with tears of joy, as the pure goodness of this day was captured so vividly (I can feel it even though I wasn't there).

    I love watching people get baptized... I don't think I've ever witnessed any other action that the exact same Joy and Peace and Radiance of God appears so profoundly on the faces of His children, declaring their love and commitment to Jesus.

    So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful Shannon. Your post was really beautiful too. Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete