Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

st. andrews portrait session:: genevieve + billy

i have some ridiculously good-looking friends. for example, Genevieve has the most amazing green eyes, which sparkle along with her stunning personality! it was an absolute pleasure to photograph her and her stunning self! Genevieve and I have been trying to arrange a photo session since July, when Genevieve first came home from a two month travel term in Europe with her university SSU. she was house sitting and working across the street from me,  so we had planned many occasions to meet up after work one day and roam around Saint Andrews while taking pictures. this never happened. between our schedules and the crazy end of summer weather (or me forgetting to bring my gear with me :) ) the photo shoot was put off again and again until this past Tuesday evening when it finally worked to meet up!

joining us on the photo session was Billy. he had promised Genevieve a ride on his new motorbike and a ride to Saint Andrews on a brisk end-of-summer evening was just the perfect thing! i took advantage of Billy's presence, and took some portraits of him, and then Billy and Genevieve together, having fun with the setting sun, dramatic blue-black sky, street lights, leather and an empty Saint Andrews pier.

this photo shoot is one of the reasons i am more and more convinced that i should pursue lifestyle photography as a profession. i had so much fun, felt free to be creative with my perspective, felt challenged in an inspiring way by the quality and lack of natural light, and loved the post-photo session processing. every part of this experience - which was work - was enjoyable, and though i went into this photo session initially uninspired and a little begrudgingly (it has been a long day), as soon as  i held the camera in my hands and positioned Genevieve against the evening sky i was energized. and I have to say, I am very VERY pleased with the result.


Theresa of Avila wrote : "The important thing is not to think much, but to love much; do then whatever most arouses you to love." photographing people inspires me to love - to love God, to love others, to love life and to love myself; and love inspires me to hope and persevere through the difficult times. to pursue photography as a profession, and to meet the standards of photography i have set for myself and wish to exceed, will take a lot  of hard work and determination (so hope and perseverance is a must).  i think i am willing for i want to "love much." you have my permission to remind me of this when i complain, or sound defeated!







*the featured photo examples some of the fun that ensued during our photo session. to view more of Genevieve's and Billy photo session, please visit my Facebook Fan Page.

**i wish to note that Genevieve and Billy were 30 minutes for their photo session because Billy could not decide what to wear. apparently he had laid out all of his favorite clothes while he tried to decide what to wear, and was not settled until he found his most favorite shirt... which i don't think even made it into the photo shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment