Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

home sweet home

my whirlwind trip to bc to visit family and friends is complete and now i am home. i took the red-eye flight monday night and surprised myself by sleeping on the plane. my friend britney picked me up from the saint john airport and we enjoyed a lovely coffee and chat before i headed back to st. stephen. i was reunited with my puppy, picked up a few groceries, made dinner, ate dinner, signed up for netflix, sat down to relax with a movie, and then felt the pain of home sickness. it would seem that as much as love my life (my friends, my community, my job) here in the maritimes, nothing compares to being with family old friends, especially when time is spent together in a seaside cottage that holds more than twenty years of memories! it doesn't help that i left behind sunshine and came home to gloomy weather!

and today, i find myself avoiding the arduous task of unpacking.

you would think that putting clean clothes away and sorting the dirty ones into the laundry hamper would not be that difficult, but for some reason, unpacking always turns into reorganizing my closet and dresser! there is always a better system, or at least another organization of my clothes, shoes and bags! and since my closet, which is really a teeny-tiny room, is the only storage space i have in my teeny-tiny apartment, there are more than just clothing articles that need to arranged and i have not quite figured out the best way to keep everything in it's place without it looking cluttered (and if anyone knows anything about me, a cluttered space drives me crazy!). not helping is my desk and office area. i spent the week before leaving for my trip working hard to complete my business plan, which means books and papers were not put back or filed properly and still remains a hot mess on my desk!

in all honestly, unpacking, reorganizing my closet and cleaning up my desk will only take maybe an hour (really, my mess is probably someone else's version of clean) but nonetheless, that is an hour i would rather spend photographing someone and practicing my posing and lighting skills, catching up on emails or looking up some yummy awesome vegetarian recipes that do not include beans, or doing anything that will help me get over the feelings of home sickness!

it would seem that homecoming was not so sweet, but that's okay. life goes on, and a week from now when i get back into routine, when my closet is reorganized and my desk is cleared of books and papers, this will all just be a memory and all will feel right again in my own world.

love & sunshine,
shannon-may

No comments:

Post a Comment