Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

PORTRAITS | Genevieve and Dan

What happens when you combine an inspiring couple that has been together for a total of nearly ten years, awesome locations, perfect wardrobe styling and a wee bit of rain? MAGIC.

I have been so looking forward to sharing these images with you! Genevieve contacted me months ago about doing some portraits for her and Dan. This past September they celebrated their sixth wedding anniversary and want to commemorate their relationship with a portrait session. Genevieve is a photographer herself and so she values the role photographs plays in ones life. She wrote to me that she felt it important for their children to see images of their parents together, happy and loving... though I have to wonder if Genevieve's real motive was because she wanted to have lots of opportunity for some smooching-time with Dan!!

Regardless of the motive, I am so happy to have had the opportunity to work with Genevieve and Dan. They are the reason I love working with couples. After ten years together, two children, a house, a career change (Genevieve), ups and downs of life and relationships, there two hold their relationship paramount above all else and regularly continue to celebrate the choice they made when they said "I do." Genevieve writes We strongly believe that our relationship has to come above all else (even our kids) in order for all of us (the kids included) to live a happy, healthy life. We both understand and take seriously the fact that our kids will one day leave us and we'll be left alone again, and keeping a connection alive in the meantime will be the key to having a wonderful 'golden years' age together. We chose each other and we are dedicated to our decisions.

In their own words (because any paraphrase would not do these words justice), here is what Genevieve and Dan expressed what they most about each other:

The thing that I love most about Dan is that he is LOYAL. I never have to worry about him not being 100% committed to me, our family and our relationship. He is also very tolerant of me and my demands, and is insanely patient with me and the kids (something that I lack completely). He knows who he is and has for a long time, and I admire that he has his principles and sticks to them. He is much better at achieving realistic goals for himself than I am (for example working out), and he is always making small steps to be a better man, father, and husband. He still touches me in an affectionate way (hug, pat on the back, etc) daily, and compliments me often. He has never been anything but 100% supportive of my decisions (even when they potentially put more demands on him), and he is currently my biggest cheerleader in my pursuit of self employment. I love that we are comfortable together but still make an effort from time to time to get out and do something just for us.

I respect [Genevieve's] loyalty, honesty and morality,  I have never had to doubt that her motives or intentions were what was best for both of us.  She has never in any way betrayed my fragile trust and I love knowing she never will. I admire her tolerance for me (ha), and love that she is focused and driven.  I admire her ability to keep track of the small details of our lives that would add up to issues if not for her diligence. I love our passion for art, though hers is visual while mine is audio. I love that she has always believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself.  I love that she has been the engine that has kept my life moving forward since we met and am sure that I would not be half the man I am without her. 

Hold on, just need to wipe my eyes...

I am not sure what else to write (mind a little blown away but the transparency and thoughtfulness of Genevieve and Dan) so I will leave you to look at the photographs that their love created.

Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May








































1 comment: