Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

PORTRAITS | Danika

Back in September I received an email from a young lady named Danika. She had just entered her senior year of high school and was looking to have some portraits take to mark this big year in her young life. We arranged to meet up so I could get to know her a little and to hear about her vision for her senior portrait session, which incorporated her favourite and most meaningful locations in Saint Andrews.

In her email she warned me that she was a talker - no problem, me too!! But this, however, is not what stood out to me when we met at Carmen's over milkshakes. What did impress me about Danika was how much she smiled! She smiled her way throughout the entire hour we chatted, and with that emitted confidence and joy, which carried on into her photos. The other thing that stood out to me about Danika is how grounded and transparent she is. She talked openly and honestly about her love and commitment to athletics, about her friends, her family and plans she has for the next phase of her life. I remember when I was her age and no way did I have the passion for and direction in life that she has - definitely a young lady to admire!!

Danika is also very brave. Her portrait session landed on one of the coldest days in October. We battled rain, wind and near freezing temperatures and she smiled through it all (except for when I told her not too).

Blessing to you Danika as you complete this final year and move onto new chapters complete with adventure, love, and many milestones!!

Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May




For those familiar with Saint Andrews you'll recognize this location. Danika chose the interactive playground at the elementary school as a location because she spent much of her early school years here and thus wanted to include it in her graduation portraits.






Saint Andrews is on a peninsula in the Bay of Fundy so no portrait session in Saint Andrews would be complete without some images created at the beach!













This last image is the result of me singing Danika a little bit from Willow Smith's song "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth." I may or may not have done a little dance along with that...




1 comment: