Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Afternoon Thoughts, and "When a Man Loves a Woman."

I am working through the last of my fall weddings and photo shoots, including photos from my recent visit home to BC,  and will hopefully have somethings to share this week but in the meantime I thought I would share some randomness...

I was out for a walk this afternoon and thinking ahead to what the rest of this year and next year will bring. Of course always on my mind is my abilities as a photographer. I can see how much I have grown over this past wedding season and strive more and more to become the creative storyteller I long to be. Still, it is hard to not compare oneself to everyone else, forgetting that most of the photographers whose work I follow and am inspired by have been working wedding photographers for years (like 10+ years). Today, as I found myself comparing once again, I had a moment of clarity. My thought was "Rather than compare yourself and focusing on my limitations, why not be challenged by their greatness!" It is healthy to question my abilities and skills, especially when I use that as motivation to grow!!!

The other bits of thought that were floating through my mind is the ever-evolving ideals about marriage and human relationships.  I have discussed on my website, in brief, how I am inspired by marriage and the journey two people take to get to this point.

I am not alone in my reflections and thoughts. I think most wedding photographers share my excitement  for marriage and are inspired to photograph weddings for the same purposes as me. This past summer and fall as I met with some of my 2013 wedding couples I have began to share openly with each of them my heart for marriage and what the whole concept means to me. I also began to take note of my thoughts, feelings and ideas. And this winter, as I have more time write and reflect and develop my thoughts it's my plan to regularly blog about my musings. Hopefully I will actually do it (I am a wee bit of a tortured writer)!!  In meantime, I'll leave you with this bit taken from my website:

As a person who loves Love, I am inspired by the intricacies of human relationships and the power inherent in the choice to love.. It amazes me when two people meet, cultivate a relationship, share experiences, and determine that they would like to commit, before family and friends, to sharing a long- life together. Though I am a hopeless romantic, I am fully aware of the difficulties and challenges couples face together as they compose their love story; and this is what inspires me most.  No one is perfect, no relationship is without its struggles, and yet still two people choose to love for better or worse, for richer or poorer, for successes and failures. The choice to love another selflessly is inspiring.

And, because I am obsessed with The Voice and want everyone to know about Trevin Hunte's amazingness, here is his performance of "When a Man Loves a Woman" from last night's show. Of course, this could be "When a Man Loves a Man", or "When a Woman Loves a Woman" and it would be equally moving ;) Can you believe an school teacher of Trevin's told him he would never amount to anything?!!



Happy Tuesday,
Shannon-May

No comments:

Post a Comment