Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tangible Memories

I remember using my spare set of keys to start and warm up my car in the morning and then using my main set to lock the car so that I could take Ruthie for a walk before we began our long trip to Vancouver BC. I used my keys to get back into my apartment and gather my suitcase and carry-on bag while my car continued to warm up. It wasn't until my friend Katie picked me in my car and I noticed my spare set of car keys in the ignition that I even gave this any thought. The next thought was where is my other set? When we arrived at my apartment I spent some minutes routing through my carry-on bag as this was the most natural place they would be but I knew they weren't there.

Losing one's keys really isn't that big a deal. Every key is replaceable with some effort and for a cost. Losing keys is more of an inconvenience than anything else. What is not replaceable, however, are the charms I had on my key ring. Gone is the gold heart with the personal message my parents gave me for my sweet sixteen birthday that I have had for more than half my life. And gone is the pink sparkly "S" charm I bought for myself to mark the beginning of my photography career when I attended my first WPPI in Las Vegas.

These things are just that things and losing them is not a tragedy. But like a photograph, these items were tangible memories for me. The gold heart prompted the memory of my sixteenth birthday, the special right of passage in turning "sweet 16" for which a key ring charm is the ideal gift.  And, the pink sparkly "S" charm prompted the emotions and uncertainty that surrounded that time in my life when I was facing my fear and riding the wave of love and encouragement I received from my family, friends and new industry friends.

For now my key ring will be embellished with the hand written tag my Dad wrote years ago, when I still lived at home, to mark my spare car key set. This too has a tangible memory and keeps my Dad's hand writing ever present in my mind and close to my heart. But one day there will be another moment in my life or another meaningful trip for which a key charm will be an ideal tangible memory.

Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May

No comments:

Post a Comment