Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It's been a year, already?

When I was washing my dishes this morning it dawned on me that yesterday was the official start date of my business. It was the day that everything fell into place and I was able to announce that Shannon May Photography was in business. It also marked for me the beginning of a crazy ride that I still can't believe I had the courage to go on.

I look back through the year and examine my successes and my failures and the many times I wanted to jump off of the roller coaster and slink off to find something less risky. But the only thing that seems to make me want to get out of bed in the morning and commit my working time to is photography, and the various responsibilities it encompasses. I have been editing through Michelle and Brandon's wedding photo highlights these past two days so they are ready to show their guests at their Ottawa reception this weekend, and have found it difficult to wipe the smile from my face... especially when I come across a photo of them looking at each other. My job surrounds me with love, so seriously, what could be better than that?

I still have a lot to learn. I am no where close to where I would like to be as a photographer and as a business person but I am taking strides everyday, some bigger than others, and with each step I come closer to realizing my goals. And though I have moments where the roller coaster seems daunting, I am more and more committed to staying in my seat and letting go of the handle bars so I can freely enjoy the ride joy rather than be gripped with terror. 

I am grateful for every person who has encouraged me, inspired me, worked with me, constructively criticized me, trusted me and had coffee with me. Without each of you I could not and would not be pursuing my happiness. Without you I would not have experienced one of the best years of my life. Without you, my life would be less beautiful and there would be less love and sunshine each day. And because of this, I consider it a real privilege to be invited into your lives when you ask me to be your photographer. 

With a grateful heart I say Thank You.

Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May

Here are some photos of a few of the people who have made my life beautiful this past year.
  









































4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You can definitely see the improvement in your work and style over the year (though of course you had an awesome base) and that's amazing, I can't wait to see what you do in Year 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOK at that collection of photos...you must be so proud!!! Congrats and here's to many more years!

    ReplyDelete