Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

{PORTRAITS} Baby Ian

I take for granted what women go through during pregnancy and birth - I suppose this is normal (?) having not experienced this myself. In most cases these days, thanks to the strides made in mother and baby care in North America, having babies seems simple and easy - routine. And then, every once and while I (we) are reminded the tole it takes on a woman's body, the risks that every women faces when she is pregnant and giving birth, and that it is a miraculous thing when new life is created and laboriously brought into the world.

Just a couple of weeks ago my friend Gwen almost died after giving birth to her fourth son, sweet Baby Ian, a "routine" c-section gone horribly wrong. Family and friends all over the world waited with heavy hearts to hear the status of Gwen - the ups and downs of her condition, her return to surgery and the multiple internal injuries that needed a wait and see approach before Doctors could decide how to proceed. Prayers were heard and Gwen's body began to heal. Joy was restored and those who love her felt free to continue celebrating Ian's arrival.

Though Gwen was on the mend she knew she would remain in the hospital for a little while longer, and that by the time they returned home he would have lost his "newborn curl" and the photos she would have taken herself would be lost. I felt so honoured when she asked me if I would come to the hospital to take some photos of Ian while he was still in the cuddle up and be pliable stage. I also felt privileged to be there with my camera in hand when Gwen's brother (and Baby Ian's namesake) Ian and his family arrived. They flew in from BC to be here with Gwen and her family while she recovered in hospital.

Without further delay, here he is!!




















Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May

PS: While this shoot comes close to my wish to photograph the birth of a baby, a family's first moments together, and the excitement when the first round of guests come by... is it not the same. This item still remains on my bucket list ;)

1 comment: