Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

{PERSONAL} Who will go to the junk yard?

I have been watching America's Top model lately. I know, right? Since when did become a fan of reality and all the drama! Honestly, it wasn't intentional. It happened accidentally, I swear. But, as someone who does not compartmentalize things well I realized it is a good resource from which I can glean ideas and inspiration for my High School Senior photo sessions!

Nigel Barker is one of the top fashion photographers in the industry right now, and watching the way he brings life out in the girls, directing them in poses that accentuate their beauty in a way that makes their personality shine through. One thing that strikes me about the way the final photographs are critiqued is that they don't just talk about the way the model looks in the final image, but they also talk about whether her personality comes through the image; they seem to place great importance on what is going on beyond the eyes.

What grieves me about this show is the negativity, tension and bullying that occurs between the girls. I understand that these reality television shows edit footage together to elevate the drama, but when one of the mentors or coaches has to calm a girl down, saying this sort of tearing each other down is usual and you have to get used to it if you want to be a top model tells me that there is a lot of truth in what is being depicted. Add that to the fact that Tyra Banks refers to being booted off as being "sent to the junk yard" (yes she actually said this on the most recent episode!), I feel almost sick about the way beauty and fashion is modelled... I am beginning to question my recent new obsession! No one should ever be told to go to the junk yard, regardless of the analogy, and certainly not for having a bad photo.

"Extract the precious from the worthless" (Jeremiah 15:19) is a verse that has stuck with me ever since a professor of mine used in context of learning and not disregarding anything just because it does not appear to be worthwhile. I think this is the approach I will take toward America's Top Model, for now. There are precious things from it that I can learn to do (and not do :) so that I can give my Senior girls a model experience that is affirming and confidence building, and encourages them to love others the way they have been loved first, and that may one day have some positive impact on the way the industry represents fashion and beauty.

Love & Sunshine,
Shannon-May

PS: Here is a sneak peak of a shoot I did with my beautiful friend Jennifer. I'll post more next week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment