Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

[personal] reflections of home

i dreamt last night that i was home in bc. it was not a pleasant dream though. apparently i had only booked a four day trip home and after flying from one side of the country [and then back again] to the other it really only left me with two days to relish in the comfort of being near my parents, visiting my nephew and brothers [notice how my nephew now takes precedent over visiting my brothers :) ].

when i woke up in my own bed in st. stephen i was a little sad. and was reminded that i had yet to go through my photos from my trip home in june, and to reflect on my visit.

this shortest trip home i've taken since living in the east coast. my cousin daniel and his new wife mari were home in vancouver [they live in japan] and were celebrating their marriage with family and friends; i flew home to celebrate with them and photograph the celebration! though i was there for only ten days, it was a very full time, in some ways i feel like i packed more into those few days than i did the whole six weeks i was home in the winter!



my mom and i took a trip over to victoria, bc [one of my favourite places on earth] and treated ourselves to high tea at the fairmont empress hotel for the first time ever! it was so decadent and i visually inspiring. anyone planning on getting married there please, please, please hire me! i'll cut you a deal on the travel costs :)




the irish linen shop! i bought my dad a handkerchief from here for father's day. and my mom bought me some lovely tea towels just because :)


this one is for you brenna!!


roger's chocolates in one of my favourite sweet shops on earth. it is likely attribute more to years of memories visiting this original store on government street but that does not negate the lovely decedent chocolatey delights one is sure to find there! i broke my abstaining from chocolate rule in order to indulge in a milk chocolate and almond ice cream treat... and took a dark chocolate coconut cream home with me!



love this picture of my mom basking in the setting sun as we rode the ferry home to tsawwassen. 



couldn't even escape the stanley cup playoff game while riding the ferry!




isn't my nephew the most beautiful baby... just love those cheeks!




the only time i eat japanese food is when i am home. there are no sushi restaurants near me and i have yet to any restaurants when in fredericton or saint john. so this was a real treat!


the sushi place i went to takes had photos of past gets plastering the walls and ceilings!! i managed to find one person i new in the hundreds of faces that stared at me while i ate my food!!



ahhh!! here it is the. the coconut cream treat i picked up at roger's chocolates. mmmm.  i saved it for the end of my trip so i could savour with a cup of coffee while sitting on the porch at my parents seaside cottage!



the porch at my parent's cottage is my favourite place on earth. i spent many hours on this porch growing up reading, napping and daydreaming!




my mom picked up this star when she was out east two years ago. she loves stars and loved that so many east coast homes have these displayed on their homes. 


my parent's dog maggie [my puppies mother] keeps watch! this was second before another dog looked at her and she ran down the steps barking after him/her. thankfully my ruthie did not inherit this annoying trait!





out for a walk there is much to discover in this quaint little seaside cottage town!



one last time together as a family before i head out. and maxwell gets lots of snuggles with his uncle matthew [my oldest brother] and his grandpa [my daddy]!!




looking forward to another trip home for christmas this year, and spending a few weeks by the pacific ocean again. until then, i will happily hold these memories in my heart, and in my mind, looking through my photo album when i need to a visual reminder of home. 

hope you are having a beautiful weekend!

love & sunshine,
shannon-may

No comments:

Post a Comment