Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

[inspiration] bridal shoot

a few months ago i bought a wedding dress. and a couple of nights ago it finally was taken out of the closet, hang off the hanger, and was used in a styled bridal shoot i put together.

the plan: spend a few hours photographing my gorgeous friend rosie, utilizing various scenic areas around the st. stephen area. what was not planned and what turned out to be the best decision ever was to also photograph rosie at her house, which is a beautiful old home right in the heart of town and it was the element that really tied the inspired theme together!

the styled shoot was inspired by a an old antique photograph i picked up during a recent trip to bar harbor and ellsworth, in maine. this photograph has haunted me [in a good way] and inspired more than just this bridal shoot.

please allow me to indulge my narcissism for a moment. i am in love with these images. and i feel that i have reached a new level of quality and polish with my photography... i know this is has much to do with my growing confidence and the more i practice the better my skills become. but i also think it is because i am [finally] doing what i believe i was created for: photographing people, human nature, beauty and creation.



all the details [the earrings, the jewellery box, the jewellery tray are mine that i have collected over the years. they are either family heirlooms, a gift or a garage sale find!



i put this flower hairclip together about an hour before the shoot. i had been looking online for something to place in rosie's hair but couldn't find anything inspiring!! [it is amazing what we can do when we are resourceful]!








this is antique photograph that inspired the whole shoot. it was taken at the thurber studio, in lisbon new hampshire [there is no date]. i do not know what it is about this photograph but i think it is just breathtaking. the composition and lighting are lovely and the subject is stunning! based on the photo paper and the style of the model's clothing and hair i am going to guess that this portrait was taken no later than 1920... but perhaps you have a better guess!



this is my attempt to recreate the inspiring portrait...  to maintain the theme of the bridal shoot, and because i was inspired by the photo's style i choose to use an antique/creamtone on some of the photos rather than a standard black and white mix.



this cameo belonged to my mother and she gave it to me along with a few other pins and brooches when i was home for a visit this past june.








 the evening light was just stunning and provided the perfect mood for this shoot.





the earrings rosie is wearing also belonged to my mother. her brother gave them to her when she was a young women, and i have been wearing them since i was in my early twenties!







we found this gorgeous cathedral of trees as we drove home from shooting near todd's point.







rosie, thank you once again for indulging my creativity and modelling for me! you are absolutely beautiful in body and soul! my camera loves you and so do i!

questions, comments [and songs of praise] are welcome!

love & sunshine,
shannon-may

4 comments:

  1. Truly AMAZING! Rosie is an inspiring subject - she has incredible natural beauty that shines through every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful photography, Shannon May!
    I love all the inspiring treasures you have collected over the years!
    The best treasure for me, is seeing our Rosebud come to life and blossom and yes, she does "shine through every picture", for your eye through your camera has captured the essence of Love and Purity that Rosie was born out of and into! Rosie's MOMWOWXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I've spent the last hour on your blog. Your posts move me, your pictures have made me laugh, stolen my breath, inspired me with awe and a sense of beauty, and made me dreadfully homesick in a wonderful sort of way. I'm so glad you do this! (photography, I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe! ALICIA, you are sooooooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete